FileZilla is a fast and reliable cross-platform FTP, FTPS and SFTP client, with lots of useful features and an intuitive interface.
Filezilla has both client and server software. The Filezilla Client runs on multiple platforms like Windows, Linux and the Mac OS, while the Filezilla Server runs on Windows only.
Some of its the client’s prominent features are:
- Easy to use
- Supports FTP, FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
- Cross-platform. Runs on Windows, Linux, *BSD, OSX and more
- Available in many languages
- Supports resume and transfer of large files >4GB
- Powerful Site Manager and transfer queue
- Drag & drop support
- Configurable Speed limits
- Filename filters
- Network configuration wizard
- Remote file editing
- FTP-Proxy support
Installing Filezilla in Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
sudo apt-get install filezilla
Finally, here’s an interview with Tim Kosse, the lead developer of the Filezilla project.