Welcome!

Welcome to the Black-Letterhead page, a WordPress 2.1 theme based on Robin Hasting’s theme called Letterhead which in turn is based on Kubrick, the default theme for WordPress 1.5.

I modified the colors of Letterhead and called it Black-Letterhead because of its black background. The color scheme was inspired by the team colors of the San Francisco Giants, a Major League Baseball team.

I entered this theme in the WordPress 1.5 Theme Competition hosted by Alex King. Since then, numerous websites have popped up all over the world using the Black-Letterhead theme. Some have altered it even more by using different color schemes.

I created this page to provide support for current and future users of the Black-Letterhead WordPress Theme. You can download the latest changes from the download page.

Tags:

55 Responses to “Welcome!”

1. heroinegirl says:

hello!! I desperately need your help – Im trying to use black letterhead theme and my sidebar keeps moving down to the bottom, how can I fix this !!! It’s driving me crazy. thanks :) heroinegirl@gmail.com

2. ulyssesr says:

Hi heroine girl, Sorry for not responding to your message right away. I’m currently surfing in Central America and do not have always have access to the internet. I’ll be back soon and will help you with your problem. – Ulysses

3. Drew says:

Hi, as you already know, I currently use your theme on my website. (as I like it very much) = )

I just wanted to point-out that if you roll your mouse over the calendar on the right, in the extra space at the beginning and/or end of each month, a white rectangle appears. I don’t know if this happens in all browsers, but it happens in Safari and FireFox for OS X. If there is any obvious way to fix this without too much effort on your behalf, I would personally appreciate your work.

Thanks in advance,
    Drew

4. ulyssesr says:

Hi Drew. Thanks for pointing it out. I just viewed the CSS file and realized I missed to change the background color of the “td.pad:hover” attribute. Just edit style.css file and look for this code:

#wp-calendar td.pad:hover { /* Doesn’t work in IE */
    background-color: black; }

Just change the background-color to “black.” That should do it!

Regards,
    Ulysses

5. jay says:

I’m trying to change all of the orange text to #ff6666 to match the color scheme of the website. So far I have not been able to locate all the instances. Can you tell me where in the css file I should look?

6. jay says:

Never mind. Mea Culpa. I think I found them all. Never mind it was just my old,old eyes.

7. ulyssesr says:

Sure. Not a problem.

8. jay says:

I want you to lnow that I really like what you’ve done. It’sone of the cleanest blog skins I’ve ever come across. Grace’sblog will be going active (linked to her website) sometime this week but you can sneak a peak at it at http://www.rosehillstudios.com/grace/ with the revised colors to match her website.

Again, thanks for a great skin.

9. Mike G says:

I wish to thank you for devising such a great looking skin. I recently added a WP blog to my site, and was looking for a theme that matched that of my black+white photography site. If you take a look, you’ll see how well it fits my minimalist, white on black design — http://www.mikegerra.com/index.php
    Thanks again. Regards, Mike.

10. amtsleiter says:

I really like your theme and i have installed it on my photoblog. The simple black/orange color theme is just perfect for pictures. Thanks.

11. enveloop says:

I agree with the opinion above. I´m using the layout in http://www.envelooponline.com/nan (with many modifications).

12. ulyssesr says:

Sorry if I didn’t approve your comment right away. I haven’t checked this site in a while. I guess I could remove moderation once I upgrade to WordPress 2.0 and install Akismet. By the way, great looking sites from Mike G and Enveloop. I didn’t even recognized Enveloop’s site. Nice work.

13. darkskye says:

Great theme, it combines my 2 out of my 3 favourite colours (the other being purple).

Any chance you could drop us a line when the theme has been updated for WP 2, then I can have all the fun of trying to spot what minor changes I need to remake :)

Diloch!

14. Tony says:

Hey,

I notice that I cannot allow people to leave comments on the ‘pages.’ I like the theme a whole lot, but don’t like how people can’t post comments on the pages. I looked in the code and decided I had better not mess with it. Was this omission intentional? Does it have an easy solution?

Thanks.

15. ulyssesr says:

Tony,

It’s the way most blogs works including WordPress. Comments are allowed in posts only. Pages were a late addition to WordPress I believe. They were not available in the earlier versions. Try posting this at WordPress Support and see what they say. Maybe, someone has asked the same question as well.

16. ulyssesr says:

Diloch!

Actually, the theme works “as is” in WordPress 2.0. No mods needed. What I meant by upgrading to WordPress 2.0 is about this WordPresss install. If you look below the comment form you will see the version number 1.5.2. I need to upgrade this installation to WordPress 2.0. Anyways, the theme works in WordPress 2.0.

:-)

17. Tony says:

Thanks for your reply. That is hepful to know. I was a bit sad to learn you couldn’t post additional posts (blog style) on the pages. Now I understand why things are the way they are.

18. Trent says:

Hey, love the theme. Best one out there.

However, I’ve also got the problem of the sidebar falling to the bottom. Any ideas? I’ve only fiddled with the styles file to change the orange to red.
    thanks,
    trent

19. ulyssesr says:

Hi Trent,

Thanks. I’m glad you like it. Regarding the sidebar, I went to your website and the sidebar seemed ok. I’m not sure what you meant by the sidebar falling to the bottom. Can you give more details? What browser are you using?

20. ulyssesr says:

Tony,

I made a statement previously that you can’t comment on Pages. Well, it’s not true. I learned the other day that it’s possible. Pages are essentially posts but with the comment code not displayed on the page. You can create a template similar to page.php, then add the comment code. There’s a website that shows you how to implement a guestbook using this technique. In fact, I’ve implemented it on my website here.

21. Clayts says:

This is a fantastic theme which I am currently using in a developmental site, although I have taken the liberty of changing the orange to red, to match the relevant colours of the project I’m working on.

One thing which is weird is that the horizontal lines dividing posts, and the header from the sicebar look great in Firefox, adding some excellent structure, but seemingly disappear in Internet Explorer 6. Any idea why this may be ? I’m assuming it’s because IE is rubbish, as we all know….

Thanks for your work – tis truly excellent

22. ulyssesr says:

Hi Clayts,

This is an easy one. For some reason, IE does not like the word “grey”. Just open style.css and replace grey with #777 or any other grey color. That should do it. I should have used #hex numbers of instead of color words. Learning all the time.

Regards,
    Ulysses

23. Clayts says:

Ulysses

Excellent – just the ticket : that worked a treat.

I’ll be sure to let you see the website when its done – coming along nicely and looks very nice with a few plug ins – I hope you like it :)

24. Annette says:

I have used this theme for a while and this weekend was my weekend of translations… Therefore, from now it is available in the german language as well. Thanks for the great work.

Regards,
    Annette

25. ulyssesr says:

Annette,

If I can only read and understand German. It looks great!

Ulysses

26. Hakan Aydin says:

Hello,

Black-letterhead is my favorite wordpress theme. The only additional feature I was looking for was a three-column layout. So I have modified the black-letterhead theme for a three column layout, named it 3c-black-letterhead, and published it here:

Thanks and let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

Hakan Aydin – http://www.aydin.net/blog

27. ulyssesr says:

Hakan,

Awesome. Thanks for designing 3-column Black-Letterhead and making it available to anyone. Great work.

I just released Black-Letterhead 1.1. You might want to incorporate a couple of changes I’ve made with the latest theme particularly with the horizontal lines that disappear when viewed in IE. There’s an easy fix for that. Just replace “grey” with #777 in style.css.

Other than that, it looks great.

I also have interest in investing, so I’ll check your blog every once in a while.

Thanks,
    Ulysses

28. kevin says:

I can’t manage to change the orange in the color scheme. I am nervous about guessing on to many of the spots. If you can please give me the color number that the orange is I will just run a find and replace on the color to remove it.

Thanks

29. ulyssesr says:

Kevin,

It’s #FD5A1E. Good luck.

30. Alan Morgan says:

Regarding comments on pages, take a look at this:

Hakan Aydin managed to find a solution to the problem :)

Since his theme is based on yours, figured I would ask you as well… any chance you might change the theme to support the AutoMattic Widgets?

Thanks!

31. ulyssesr says:

Alan, Version 1.2 of Black-Letterhead was recently updated to support Automattic Widgets. You can download it from the download page on these pages.

32. Hakan Aydin says:

Hi Ulysses (and Alan),

I’ve also updated 3c-black-letterhead with Widgets support. Enjoy,

33. Jon says:

I, too, am experiencing the sidebar “falling to the bottom” syndrome.
    Is there an easy fix for this.

Also, thank you for this great theme – i couldn’t imagin bloggin’ without it.

34. ulyssesr says:

Jon, I just checked your website. The sidebar seem ok in Firefox and IE. Do you have another website? Link?

35. LuAnn says:

My sidebar starting with the calender and below also drops, viewing in both ie and firefox, it falls under the entry and to the right.

36. LuAnn says:

The dropped sidebar was fixed when I removed the short standard wp entry and added my own longer one.

37. ulyssesr says:

LuAnn,

I just checked your website. I took a look at your CSS and it looks like a major portion of it got chopped – deleted. You might want to download the style.css file again and add the new color scheme.

38. mooney101 says:

I love this theme its exactly what i want BUT I can’t use it cuase I dont like how the sidebad disapears when you are reading the topics. TO most peeps it confuses them cuase they then don’t no how to navigate. PLEASE OH PLEASE, Add a way to add the sidebad back in so thats its always there.

Thanks
    money101

39. ulyssesr says:

Mooney,

This is easy to fix. You just need to edit sidebar.php. Remove lines 14-43, from the

[code]

[/code]

This is the built in php conditional code for displaying archives, searches, etc. Also, dont forget to remove the php closing tag on line 173 which contains

[code]

[/code]

That should do it. Let me know how it goes.

40. Enjoyed ur work. Susi

41. Klinsi says:

Hi,

very nice theme man! i tried to implement the sidebar when viewing a single post, because of comfortable navigation, but i can’t get it work. please tell me where i have to put the tag , that the sidebar comes on the right side, next to the singlepost, like on the startpage!

Klinsi

42. ulyssesr says:

Klinsi,

Aren’t you supposed to be coaching in the World Cup? Regarding adding the sidebar in a single post, you need to edit single.php. Take a look at index.php or page.php for an example. Also, make sure you change from “widecolumn” to “narrowcolumn.” Lastly, add the “sidebar” function near the bottom of single.php before the footer. Again, look at index.php. Good luck.

43. I’m new to wordpress blogger so I found your site very interesting. I have bookmarked it for future visits.

44. Scott says:

Great theme. Decided to use it for awhile and see how it goes. Thanks for all the “extras” here at your site.

45. Dweep says:

Hi,
    I’ve been a fairly long time user of your theme, which incidently fit in very well with my website color scheme. Even got widgets now!

How can I make the black column wider than the default 760px in style.css? I’ve tried expanding the page, .narrowcolumn and .widecolumn widths, but that for some reason the sidebar remains fixed so that the maintext just moves closer to it (see style-wide.css in the black-letterhead folder). Can I align the sidebar to the right, so as to get equal whitespace around it?

Thanks.

46. ulyssesr says:

Dweep,

Black-Letterhead is quite flexible. If you want to increase the page width, you’ll need to modify three entries in style.css. Keep things consistent like increasing all values by 200px.

Widen page width from 760px to 960px.

#page {
    width: 960px;
    }

#sidebar {
    margin-left: 745px;
    }

.narrowcolumn {
    width: 650px;
    }

For consistency, you may want to increase .widecolumn and footer sections as well.

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

47. Dweep says:

Works perfectly! Thanks for the help Ulysses.

48. Mike says:

Hi Ulysses..

I use your theme for my blog and was wondering if you would consider a few upgrade thoughts, or point out how I could make the changes?

1. I would like the header/title to change colors when the mouse moves over it. The same color as the posts headers would be a nice look.

2. Could the space between the header and the body/sidebar be reduced? I think it would look nicer if there was less empty space.

3. The archives and categories pages display a partial sidebar, without the links and meta. I like it that way. Is there anyway this same sidebar length can be applied to any WordPress-generated pages, such as About, Contact, Disclaimer, etc.?

Thank you very much!

Mike

49. ulyssesr says:

Mike,

1. You need to add this at the end of the CSS to change colors of the header/title.

h1 a:hover {
    text-decoration: none;
    color: #E4D3A6;
    }

2. It is possible to remove the space between the header and body/sidebar. Play around with the padding in the Header section, .pagepost and .post.

3. There’s code in the sidebar.php that displays partial sidebars for certain pages such as Archives, etc. This can be remove or modified to display a consistent sidebar for all pages.

I hope this will lead you to where you need to go. Let me know if you need anymore help.

50. Mike says:

Thank you very much Ulysses..

I changed the header height to 160px and it solved my dilemma. I added your CCS code and everything worked just fine. I’ll try to figure out which sidebar code will be the one I need to change.

I appreciate your time and help.

51. ulyssesr says:

I checked your website. It looks really good. Nice job.

52. Mike says:

Thank you Ulysses..

It looks good because of your design, and your help with setting it up.

I’m REALLY happy with it. The only other thing that I want to accomplish is to replace the gray background with a “financial newspaper” wallpaper, similar to the one found at Under the Counter, which will help clue users to recognize what my blog is about right away.

Can’t seem to find such a wallpaper just yet, though.

53. Mike says:

Sorry about the duplicate post. The second post has the active link.

Also, I was able to fix the problem with my links showing up on the sidebar whenever I created a “Page”. I like the links being on my front page, but not anywhere else. Here’s the fix for anyone else who would like the same:

Have a look on sidebar.php.

Go near the bottom of the page. The comment there says that the line
    below will be executed if the current page is the home page. Actually
    this is not what the if statement on the same line does. The if statement
    is true if is_home() or is_page(). Since you do not want to display the
    links when is_page() simply remove the “|| is_page()”.

Easy fix!

Thanks goes to Apostolos Dountsis for pointing this out to me.

54. Sherry says:

Hi Ullysses,

I like your theme, but have a little problem with widgets. I added one (just goodblogs), but when I did that, everything else in the sidebar went away. What I’d like to do is have some widgets underneath the default sidebar content, such as the page and site lists, calendar, archives, and so on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

55. ulyssesr says:

Sherry,

Yes, the sidebar is designed that way. If you like to keep the default information, you’ll need to place to default code outside of the dynamic sidebar code. Look for this code inside the sidebar.php. I removed the php opening and closing tags so that the code is displayed on screen. Just place the code outside of the IF statement. Hope that helps.

if ( !function_exists(‘dynamic_sidebar’)