DistroWatch.com has a list of Linux distros and ranks them based on popularity. Currently, Mint is the distro of choice for many Linux users followed by Ubuntu and Debian. There are hundreds of distros available and you can’t possibly use or play around with all of them. Most of these distros are just offshoots of the more popular distros. If I were to narrow it down to just a few distros, I would go with these magnificent seven.
- Mint – since it’s popular desktop. It’s based on Ubuntu.
- Ubuntu – it’s my current favorite Linux server.
- Debian – since Ubuntu and numerous others are based on Debian.
- Fedora – it’s based on Redhat.
- Centos – it’s basically Redhat without the support.
- FreeBSD – Unix-like OS based BSD.
- Slackware – it’s been around for a very long time.