This article documents how to install or update to the latest version of Virtualbox in any Ubuntu release. In my case, I’m still using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The current Virtualbox at the time of this writing is version 4.1.2. With my Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lucy install, my default Virtualbox version with the repository was 3.1.8 — which is pretty old. In Ubuntu 11.04, the default Virtualbox version is 4.0.6, which is rather new, but certainly not the latest.
The following instructions will walk you through how to install or update to the latest version of Virtualbox in any Ubuntu release.
- Make sure Virtualbox is powered off (if installed).
- From the Terminal, remove the old Virtualbox (if installed)
- Download Virtualbox. Choose your Linux distro and CPU type.
- Open the deb file with GDebi Installer and install
- Once installed, start Virtualbox.
sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-ose sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-4.0